View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
kartlady
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Body temperature

Hi, I am new to this forum. But I hoping someone can give me some insight. I am with a yorkie rescue group. I have a new foster who was at the vet for his dental. He stressed so severely that his body temperature climbed rapidly to almost 106 degrees. They cooled him down and his muscles stiffened. I went up there and rushed him to a vet neurologist. Long story short...his conclusion was he either had a heat stroke or seizure. My vet said he had never seen a dog is such distress. His blood work was all fine except the creatine levels which is why the muscles stiffened. They have since come back down. About a week later he was playing in my back yard and within 5 minutes he was panting but he could not cool down. His temperature shot back up and I immediately placed him in the tub and put cool water on him to get his temperature back down. It happened again the next day. I took him back to the neurologist and they just do not have any conclusion. According to them, he is a mystery. They put him on a relaxant medication and I watch him very closely to not let him run and play for more than a couple of minutes at a time. So far so good. When this happens he pants excessively and shakes all over. Has any one ever had this happen to one of their yorkies? He also had a thyroid panel done and all is good with the thyroid. Any help appreciated.
kartlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!