View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
abbie's mom
Lovin' 2 Girls
Donating Member

I left a vet we'd used for 10 years, because she didn't tell me (or, didn't know) that small breeds should NOT have this vaccine. While interviewing other vets, the one I went with told me smaller breeds should not have the vaccine (risk factor higher than the risk of actually coming in contact with the virus). She basically reinforced this quote from this pdf file:
Quote:
Traditional leptospira vaccines (bacterins) have included coverage against L. canicola or L. icterohemorrhagica. The emerging serovars (grippotyphosa, bratislava, pomona, and autumnalis) were not included in these vaccines. Recently, Wyeth-Fort Dodge released new Leptospira vaccines (either as stand-alone, or in combination with the viral vaccines), that contain bacterins against L. canicola, L. icterohemorrhagica, L. grippotyphosa and L. pomona. [Pfizer now also has an approved 4-serovar vaccine] Vaccination against one Leptospira serovar is not cross-protective against the other serovars. Therefore, dogs vaccinated against L. canicola and L. icterohemorrhagica are still susceptible to infection by L. grippotyphosa or L. pomona. Additionally, vaccinated dogs are susceptible to serovars not contained in even the newer vaccines.
We must all act according to our best judgment for the animals in our care. I would definitely have another discussion with your vet before accepting the lepto for your baby.

JMO

Join today and remove this ad!