View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
judyeve
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenr View Post
Judy. here is a quote about disinfecting:
"Giardia may be prevented by the strict sanitation of animal living environments using cleaning agents approved for the elimination of the parasite. In kennels and other places that house animals in larger numbers, routine disinfection of the entire facility is critical. Dogs should be bathed in order to eliminate any Giardia cysts they may be carrying in their coats. The periodic use of de-worming medications such as fenbendazole may also be effective in preventing the recurrence of Giardia infection."
I think you should ask your Vet which cleaning solution would be appropriate. One point I found repeatedly, is the importance of washing your hands frequently. I would also think you should apply disinfectant lotion to your hands; there are many on the market and can be purchased at any drug store.
Also, in my research last night, I found reference to a vaccine for Giardia.However, from what I read, it is NOT recommended, especially for small dogs, as there can be neurological side effects.
Another recommendation I found, is that the dog be fed a special low residue diet as it is easier for them to digest while they are symptomatic.From what I remember, Spanky was given Science Diet S/D, but I think there are better products on the market today.
Oh I do hope Gracie Leigh is doing better today. Please, please keep us updated when you have the time.
Hugs,
Lauren
Max is also being medicated, just in case and they're both on Science Diet S/D
or chicken and rice. I read about the bleach, but I can't use it on the rugs or couch, unless I want an all white house.

One of those aerticles mentioned Lysol, whicdh is why I thought of the spray.

The hand disinfectant does sound like a good idea.

Thanks!

Last edited by judyeve; 10-09-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling
judyeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!