View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
laurenr
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyeve View Post
T
What should I disinfect with? I'm thinking spray Lysol. I can spray the carpets, the couch, etc.
Judy,
I just found an excellent article here:
http://www.priory.com/vet/giardia.htm
It actually refers to a Beagle Kennel, but I would think the disinfection and prevention section is for all dogs. This is what they recommend:
"washing everything down with a mixture consisting of 8 ounces of Clorox bleach per gallon of water. Make sure you let it set at least 20 minutes, rinse thoroughly, and then let it get completely dry before letting your Beagles use the kennels again. Important Note: The efficacy of killing is increased by prolonged contact time, therefore disinfectant solution should be left for 20 minutes to half an hour before being rinsed off kennel or run surfaces."

Another useful quote from the same site:
"

The following are recommendations for eliminating coccidia from kennels and homes:
- treat all dogs with sulfadimethoxine for 10 days
- disinfect kennel areas, etc, with quaternary ammonium disinfectants (such as bleach solution above) which are effective in inactivating coccidia oocysts
- bathe dogs with shampoo to remove all fecal matter, rinse with water
- rinse dogs with quaternary ammonium disinfectants, then water
- allow kennels to dry thoroughly for several days
- retreat with sulfadimethoxine for 7 days
- treat any new dogs with sulfadimethoxine (e.g. Albon) for 10 days even if they test negative for coccidia because it is so hard to detect in fecal tests."

That last paragraph (I italicised it) makes me wonder about Max. Perhaps you should ask your Vet about this.

Argh! I feel so bad for you that you cannot experience the sheer bliss of having this new baby, without it being marred by this illness.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!