View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
ItsyBitsy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Leg problems in puppy?

Hi, my Bitsy is 14 weeks old and seem to be having problems with her legs, but isn't she too young for luxating patella?

The problem started yesterday. I went to my parents for Thanksgiving dinner. I went down to the basement to do my laundry and Bitsy was upstairs with my family. When I came back upstairs, she was lying in her crate and she NEVER lies in her crate when we're over at my parents. She looked sad so I called her out, and she came out of the crate, limping on her front right leg.

Of course I freaked out and asked the family what the heck they did with her and why was she limping. My uncle said he heard her yelp earlier but didn't think anything of it. The whole family denied dropping her or stepping on her. I was livid because I thought someone was lying and if something happened, they should just say so.

I went home last night, pretty upset still.

This morning, she was limping very slightly. We went for our morning walk and she seemed fine. She did seem very tired the whole day though, and that is not like her at all. I thought the lethargy might be due to yesterday's excitement at my parents or because I gave her deworming pill yesterday morning.

After dinner this evening, we went for our evening walk. In the evening, we usually go for an hour. About half an hour into the walk, she started yelping out of nowhere. She ran to me crying and shaking. No one was even around us. I checked her over and her back right leg was all hunched up. She refused to put any weight on it. I checked the whole leg and the paw and there seems to be nothing wrong with it. I had to carry her the whole way home. Now (about an hour after we got home), she is walking on it but still slightly limping.

My question is, can she have some sort of joint problem? First, it started on her front right leg, then it was her back right leg. I've heard of a "growing pains" bone disease that affect medium/large breeds called Panosteitis, but can Yorkies get it?

Sorry for such a long post, but I was just wondering if anyone else ever went through the same thing with their puppy?
ItsyBitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!