View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #14
Sookie
My Four Sweet Babies
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy785 View Post
I have flown with United and Express Jet. I was able to take my dog out of the carrier on Ex. Jet and hold her. On the other flights the dogs went to sleep and did not seem to even notice anything new.
Make sure you get your dog use to the carrier you are going to be using. Put him/her into it for a few minutes each day and for longer periods of time each day. I made mine stay in their carrier for an hour while I was right there, but on the computer. I figured they would have to be in there for much longer on the flight (KS to CA) Also I have said this before, look for the family restrooms in the airport, especially if you have connecting flights. It is one large room with a toilet and sink. I lock myself and the dogs in and then let them out with a pee pad on the floor and a bowl of water. I do what I have to do and let them do what they have to do and then pack everything up again. Using the family bathroom makes sure there is no way the dogs will get away from you, but have a chance to stretch their legs and go potty.

tickets for the dogs on United were $85 and on Express Jet $50.
Call and make the dog's reservation while you have your reservation up on the computer. I also even call before I make mine that there is still room for the dogs on the flights I want. (I usually do the cheapest ticket for me I can find. They are not refundable, so I don't want my dog stranded because he was not book or something preventable)

I agree with what you said. I've flown 3 times with Kalina and she's only 6 months old - so she is a seasoned traveler. LOL

On the last flight they allowed 3 pets only. The total weight is 15 lbs including carrier. On one of my flights she sat on my lap the entire time. I asked my seat mate and those around if it was OK with them and they said yes. Otherwise, I wouldn't have taken her out.

Good luck. It's not as traumatic for the dog as you think - Kalina just curls up and goes to sleep for a few hours.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!