View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #19
jwash
YT 500 Club Member

I did not pee pee pad my two but have heard you can move it slowly to the door and then finally outside and it will wean them off the pad. However, mine were trained by 8 months, so it is possible to train them before age 2. What it takes, though, is consistent monitoring and the ability to take them out after eating, playing, sleeping and about every hour in between. I also kept mine in the den and watched them constantly for circling, sniffing, etc. and would quickly pick them up and take them out. I got so tired I thought I would never recover, but it works. If they would go I praised with a higher voicetone than I used when I would encourage them to potty. You want to lower your voice to almost a growl. When Chloe was very small I took her out 24/7 and my hubby said if he heard potty now one more time he would scream but whatever the phrase you pick, again keep it consistent. And I would say, Chloe, good potty, pet and give her a treat. When she would have an accident I would tell her no we don't potty in the house, again, in a low growl voice but do not punish or put her nose in her waste. Lacey was a little easier, although she was much smaller because she basically followed Chloe outside. Now, Chloe gets me and barks if she has to go at an unscheduled time. Lacey gets me but just starts walking to the door, stopping every foot and looking back to see if I'm coming. One lady on the site has hers ringing a bell on her door when it is time to potty. I tried that but mine never got it, they just wanted to play with the bell all the time. You'll pick up a lot of good advice here. Welcome
jwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!