View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #15
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbnieto View Post
well it was my last resort because i exhausted all other resources. sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. its not like i do that all the time, just for that one week. we all have our ways of discipline.
There's no way that is a last resort. My trainer would NEVER advise anyone do that. I've trained with her from puppy all the way through advanced with Loki and I'm starting over again with Sammy. Did you find a positive reinforcement trainer or a trained animal behaviorist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbnieto View Post
to give him a higher value treat for something in his mouth I would highly be cautious about. reason being we all know yorkies arent stupid. he is going to thnk that if he is guarding something then he will eventually get a treat. i dont want him handling fill in the blank in his mouth at all. by no means am i a dog expert but thats just my opinion
It's basic conditioning. You teach the dog that taking something away from him is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. You can phase out the reward if you want. There is science behind it.

Of course Yorkies aren't stupid. Loki will "fetch" socks and bring them to me and spit them out thinking he will get a treat for it. Who cares? I don't leave anything dangerous around and if you just ignore them they will stop doing it because it's no fun anymore.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!