View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
alexbnieto
Yorkie Yakker

ok so i totally can feel you on this one. Bruin at the age of 1 year started doing that. i first noticed when i took a paper towel under the sofa and i tried to reach and grab it, but instead he growled and bit me kinda hard, but didnt pierce my skin. i thought, "oh, this is probably a one time thing but weird". So time when on and it kept happening and happening. So after about a month i realized that its more serious than i thought and he might bite some kid at some point if they try to take something some his my mouth. So here is how i fixed that behavior really quick. . . this is going to sound awkward, but here is what i did. First I gave him his paper towel to tear apart. then i got close and he got quiet. i could sense the tension building inside him. so i put my hand even closer and he went to bite. although his attempt was unsuccessful, he was serious. so i got down on all fours and started showing him my teeth and opening my mouth. yea i know weird! he started barking so i went slowly crawling to pick up the paper towel with my mouth and he was trying to bite my face. . . keep reading, here is the clincher. so i grabbed his collar pretty hard, got in his face with my face and teeth and mouth showing, then i bit him hard (at least hard from his point of view based on the squeal i got out of him) on his neck and he retreated back. after that incident, the situations with taking things out of his mouth got milder and milder because I would bite his neck. after 1 week he got the point and has not bitten me or anyone else since then. it's weird though because in that aggressive time period he never bit me when it came to taking his toys or anything else out of his mouth. aggression only came out when he had paper towels and socks in his mouth. That being said, to this day he is absolutely not afraid of me being close to him or touching his mouth with my hands. i would give him treats when i got the stuff out of his mouth and he didnt bite. yes, this is super unconventional but it worked. "Bruin, you want to act like a wolf (cause thats whats in a dogs genes), i can act like a wolf too!" anyway, if you are comfortable enough with maybe getting your face bit or hand bit, then try it. otherwise it may still continue and get worse
alexbnieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!