View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
SingerGrl
Yorkie Yakker

Default Potty Training Pains

Hello all. My little Maya had her very first "accident free" day on Sunday - I was sooooo proud! We're still having issues though...

I live on the 3rd floor in an apartment with a balcony, so I decided to use a bell and potty pads (outside). I'd let her out and leave her leash in the door, so she'd HAVE to go on the potty pads. I never let her out without a leash because the bars of the balcony were wide enough for her to get through if she wanted. My husband and I put chicken wire up, so now it's safe and we let her out without a leash, since she likes to play and watch people out there.

When she was allowed to move around a bit more, she still decided to pee and poo on the potty pads the majority of the time, but she's a "walking pooper," so sometimes she's close but not quite. Slowly, she started peeing/pooing further and further away from the pads, but still outside.

I noticed that whenever we took her for a walk, she was GREAT about peeing/pooing on the grass, so I had an idea. I made her a "doggy litter box" of sorts - I bought a plastic storage container (for under-the bed), drilled holes in the bottom/sides to aspirate, filled it with dirt, and put sod on top of it. Maya now LOVES going outside and has been using her bell like crazy to go out. YAY!!

The problem now is that she loves her grass FOR PLAYING and won't go pee/poo in it. She's doing her business ALL OVER the patio, and playing in/eating the grass. I've taken her poo over to the grass, showed her and said "Poopy goes on the grass!" a million times, and I've sprayed the grass with the potty training aid a million times too...

Any ideas?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!