View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 AM   #13
Brooklynn
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynn View Post
In this show breeders opinion it's not about supply and demand....I know when I raise a litter it costs me over a thousand just to raise one litter and that's not all that is involved. I only have one litter a year.
There is the stud fee if you don't have one at home, whelping as in if there is an emergency c-section which in itself can cost over $1000 luckly in my area my vet was open and it didn't quite cost me that much but almost but I know if you have to go to the ER vet in the middle of the night that c-section is over $2000 trust me I know almost had that happen. Then there is the puppy shots, health tests, food, pens, potty pads, toys the list can go on and on. I dont' even break even! Pet shops, puppy mills and byb's are the ones that make the money not us reputable show breeders. And g-d forbid one of our babies do have a health issue and it's serious then there goes that show bitch that you will have to spay and place or that wonderful show male you have to have neutered just to stop anymore health issues that arise. The cost of raising a healthy puppy takes alot of money, time, patience and the love of the breed and it isn't cheap! I'm not trying to offend anyone please that is not my intentions but it's to educate why you might pay more from a show breeder vs. someone that just breeds and not takes into account everything that goes with trying to breed to better the breed.

Donna Bird
Brooklynn's Yorkshire Terriers
Oh and one more thing....if you have a litter of 2 and you are show exibitor and both are show quality I'm not selling one but keeping them for show and then there will be no money coming back to me....and say if there are 3 and one is of pet quality will I be getting my money back on the one I place? Nope! I've lost money if I were to sell just one out of a litter of 3.
Donna Bird
Brooklynn's Yorkshire Terriers
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!