View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 04:13 AM   #5
omega
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
I think $1500 is entirely too cheap for a Yorkie. People pay well over $1000 for the newest television set out or the best computer. It costs a lot of money to be a breeder. I don't think most of them make much if it is done right. Vet bills are very expensive, then what if mom needs a C-Section?

Yorkie rescues are a great thing. I have nothing against them. Do you know how hard it is to adopt from some of them though? You have to meet a ton of criteria and usually half of it is stupid. I have heard that shelters and rescues have turned people away for no good reason. So if I don't get a Yorkie from a shelter my other choice is a reputable breeder. No reputable breeder will purposely breed off-standard dogs. That would go against what they believe because if their dogs aren't standard, they haven't bred for the betterment of the breed.

My Yorkie is laying on my lap right now. She is the best doggie ever. She is, however, way off standard. It is not a big deal to me (although I think all Yorkies should meet the standard to be bred and hopefully produce standard dogs). Ellie cost $650. There is one small problem though. Ellie seems to be having health problems. The most expensive one may have been preventable if the breeder would have laid out the money to test her dogs for certain things to begin with. Sure I got a cheap dog, but I am paying it in vet bills and stress now.

Paying alot doesn't guarantee no health problems. One of mine had to have hip surgey at 7 months old.... That's why I called the breeder a "supposed" good breeder. I wish I knew then what I know now about Yorkies.
omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!