View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
chris_e
Yorkie Talker

Default Rant on Yorkie Pricing

Rant Warning.

I was looking at another thread on Yorkie prices and people were talking about paying $1500-2000 for a dog. Fudge, I don't mean to offend (don't you love when people qualify their statements cause you know someone is going to get offended) but why does anyone pay that much? Unless you are going to hit the show circut (which I don't imagine alot of the members of this board actually do) why is it so important to have a purebred, sired by show winner so and so, 3 to 5 pound Yorkie? How can breeders can justify asking thousands of dollars for dogs? I guess because people keep paying more and more and not asking questions. I don't know the percent of price increase, but I bet some of you on the board can tell us how prices have probably jumped in the last few years because toy breeds are getting more popular, not because the dogs are any different. The dogs are exactly the same. Don't get me wrong, I understand paying for quality. As my brother says, you pay for quality once, you pay for crap over and over. That said, thousands of dollars for a dog. C'mon. Yorkies in shelters are getting destroyed daily. Why don't you buy a cheaper, non-show winner sired, regular Yokie, tell the breeder you would rather own a regular dog and donate the rest of what they are asking to a Yorkie rescue agencies. Guess what, you will have your puppy, and save several other ones too.
I see alot of love on this board. Everyone seems to have their and everyone else's pups in the best interest. I paid $250 for my dog. I paid $350 for my Maltese. Of course I didn't know any better at the time and bought them from a pet store. By-gones. I agree that you need to get your dog from a reputable breeder. I want everyone who is responsible enough to have a Yorkie to get a happy, healthy dog. In order to get this, I don't think they should have to put down the equivalent to a house payment to get one. There are enough costs incurred just owning a dog, I don't see how breeders can justify charging so much for a dog. I hope the breeders on the board aren't going to disband me and kick me off the board. I love this site. I love my dog, and I love anyone who loves them or any dog as much as I do. I just don't understand why prices have to be so high to own one.
Am I out of line on this?

Last edited by chris_e; 10-02-2007 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
chris_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!