View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 05:30 AM   #4
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

I homecook, but I think raw feeding is wonderful - and may try it some day. You have some GREAT advice from Lara - I'm going to save this thread because of just that!

There are a ton of recipies for homecooking (and just as many opinions ABOUT the recipes) - so you'll see quite a bit of variation. Here a few tidbits:

** They don't NEED grains - and they often cause allergies. Grain is a filler, so it's up to you whether you use them. Many use brown rice as a grain. I don't use any grain.

** They don't really need veggies either, but some debate that point. You can use veggies, but use caution - bc they are more difficult to digest for dogs than meat is. If you feed them raw, make sure you pulverize as this helps digestion of them. If you steam/pulverize, you do lose some nutrients - but this eases digestion too.

** If you feed raw, very few supplements (if any) are needed. If you homecook, you MUST supplement. Most people supplement w/: vitamin, mineral, Calcium (a must), EFAs, digestive enzymes, and probiotics.

** Many homecookers recommend Pitcairn's book - I think it utterly overwhelms most new homecookers, to the point where they almost give up on the idea. So....wish I had a book recommendation, but I don't. Just be prepared if you do order Pitcairn...

** I'm currently feeding a hypoallergenic diet of whitefish, white potato, and steamed/pureed green beans, btw.

Good luck!

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!