View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
momof4CA
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHIE View Post
First off I would never feed or put water in her carrier where she sleeps.
Crates and beds are for sleeping, only, I was told.
I crate trained Buddy in four weeks.
I feed him outside of his crate. He only went in the create to sleep or
when I went to work.
You need a schedule. ONe that is used exactally everyday. Dogs are
excellent when put on a schedule. You can not train a dog by free
feeding it or putting food/water in the crate.
It's you who controlls when they should go to the bathroom by monorting
when they last ate or drank water.
Dogs usually do not potty where they sleep.
She should be walked first thing in the am then feed. Out again for another
walk and right into the create if your leaving for work. If not she should not be created but left behind a gate to play and then out again in about
an hour. Praised and feed a treat when she goes outside.
No water or food at night. If she eats and drinks during the night how
can she possibly hold it? We don't eat or drink during the night. Unless
she is a premee and has to be feed during the night no food or water in
there with her. Their little bladders have to get stronger and the only
way that happens is if they are forced to hold it in. This really works
it done properly.
good luck
I so agree with all of this! I don't know if you work or if you stay at home. I am a SAHM so I am home during the day. I have only had my little guy "Leo" for 4 weeks, he is 13 weeks today. He is doing really good on the potty training. This whole week he has only had 3 accidents!

~Could she have to much room in her crate. She should only have enough room to turn around, but not so much that she can pee and move away. Leo crate is to big, so I have a box in it to take up the extra room.

~I also feed in on a schedule every 4 hours. This way I will know when he should have to go to the bathroom. I leave water out all day.

~The first few (4) days that he was home, we only allowed him free run in the family room. I literally sat and watched him...waiting to catch his potty signal. He would start sniffing around...like a crazy dog. Looking for a place to potty. Then I would take him to the potty mat, tell him to 'potty', if he did I gave him a treat. The first few days we did have quite a few accidents.

~After the first weekend, I started taking him with me around the house on a leash.

~Now that he has gotten good at using his potty mat: Everyday that he has no accidents I allow him one more room of the house. Right, know he has almost full run of the downstairs...with much supervision!

~He is still never left alone anywhere.

~I would suggest when she gets up in the morning, put her on a leash and take her outside to go potty. If she doesn't go, carry her back and put her back in her crate. Take her out again in a few minutes. Keep doing this until she eventully goes potty. Once she finally goes... have a "special" treat.

~She should have to potty after sleeping, a few minutes after eating, and after playing.

I hope this help.

Last edited by momof4CA; 09-27-2007 at 01:53 PM.
momof4CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!