View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
Kiwiglaze
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Wow, that is expensive, but honestly I think that $150 cheaper would be very fair. I just think that the price of the fluids/catheter and the price of anesthesia (I think the monitoring should be in the price already) are what is making it so expensive. Ellie needs to be spayed and if her bile acids don't come down they will probably want to do a biopsy. I think it is entirely to invasive if we rule out a shunt through scintography. That is just my thinking though. Could I ask why you have decided to do a biopsy if there is no shunt? Is it just a precaution? I want to decide if I will go for the biopsy if or when someone suggests it. I just like to hear different people's views on it. I would expect to pay that price though. Sorry I can't tell you that they are way out of line.
Yeah, I guess I underestimated how much the anesthesia and stuff would cost. Oh well, that's what insurance is for! Hopefully they will pick up a lot of it! My vet said they really need the liver biopsy to determine what is wrong with her liver and it will determine the course of treatment. If it is just mild MVD or HMD they will treat it differently than if it is more severe, etc. Since she is getting spayed anyway, it isn't that more invasive. For me it would be worse to have to go in again and get the liver biopsy done at a later date. Since she is having surgery anyway and they need to know how bad the liver is, they can just get it all done. There is a risk to getting the biopsy, but for me it is better to know exactly what is wrong with her so I can treat it the best way I can.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!