View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Lady of Yorkies
YT 1000 Club Member

Default The saga of my babies.

Hello everyone.
Sorry to be so delinquent with my news but I have been so busy with the babies. Autumn, Lacijo and Jewel all had their babies in 2 days. Autumn had a boy and girl both of just below normal size. Lacijo had 4 babies. The first was a tiny boy, the 2nd was a teeny tiny girl, 3rd was a girl born dead so I didn’t weigh her, 4th was a bigger girl normal size. Lacijo took about 4 hours to deliver the one who died so we ended up taking her to the er vet where they gave her the oxytoxin which didn’t help. Glenn took her to the er vet cause I was with Autumn while she was having her babies. Glenn called our vet to get a c-section done cause the er vet said that the puppy must be too big to pass thru the birth canal. They did try to use forceps to draw the baby out but that is when they decided the baby was too big. On the way to our vet Laci delivered her baby in Glenn’s lap. We decided that if she could pass this “big” baby then she shouldn’t have any problem passing the last one. She didn’t. She had the last girl almost as soon as she got home. Laci’s little boy also died. Then today, her teeny tiny girl died, but I gave God a run for his money.

Jewel delivered the next day about a week early. A girl born first and she died very shortly after birth. Then a little boy. The little boy lived until today. Again, God must have wanted him very badly cause I battled very hard to keep him. Jewel only had 2.

I played musical babies trying to find the best situation for all the babies and moms. Laci had one of Autumn’s babies, Jewel had Laci’s baby and Autumn had one of her own, Laci’s teeny tiny girl and Jewel’s preemie.

Laci had such a hard time of it, I didn’t think she had much if any milk. I wanted a bigger stronger baby with her incase it failed to gain. The baby did fine, she must have had enough milk to take care of one baby. Jewel’s baby being premature was a problem baby so with this being her first litter I decided she didn’t need the stress of taking care of a preemie. Autumn being the most experienced mom, I gave the preemie. Right from the start she let me know there was something wrong with him. She carried on all the time. Since the baby died this afternoon she has settled right down. She has done this before. Like she is crying for help.

I thot Laci’s teeny tiny girl was nursing so I put her back with her mom. I was periodically feeding the tinies with an eyedropper to make sure they were getting enough nutrients. But while the would rally, they would fail again and again.

We now have 3 babies left. 2 that belong to Autumn and one that belongs to Laci. I gave Laci back her baby and Jewel has one of Autumns.

What I think happened is when they all got the coccidian and hookworms earlier this summer, it affected their health or something. My stupid ex-mentor should have told me not to breed this soon after they had coccidia or not to breed at all for 6 months. Isn’t that what a mentor is for? To give advice? I am glad to be rid of her. No, I don’t blame her for the loss of these babies, I am just angry that she wasn’t the kind of mentor I thot she would be. I know I have left stuff out so if you have questions, ask them. Sylvia
Lady of Yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!