View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
BamaFan121s
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLacy View Post
I'm not an expert or anything but just some thoughts I'm having on it. I would think that if you did x-rays, you'd be able to see if the patellar groove is too shallow or not. If the groove is too shallow, then it's obviously genetic. If your dog's legs are bowed, that's genetic. If the ligaments holding the patella in the groove seem to be damaged, it's probably an injury. I would think by looking at x-rays, you'd be able to tell a lot. But like I said, not an expert on this (yet anyway...I'm really interested in orthopedics so I'm sure I'll be learning a lot more about it over the next few years)
You are absolutely correct. Wow, pretty good advice for a regular old pet owner. We have a male that has Grade 1 LP due to injury. You CAN see it and tell if it was injury induced in an x-ray. I tried once before to figure a way to post it on here as this conversation has come up before, but I couldn't. Yes, LP is hereditary, but minor cases can arise from things like injury and even jumping on and off the couch. So it isn't always something that would be passed on to other generations.
We have not used our male as stud...he isn't quite old enough, but if we decide he is what we want to add to our breeding program, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do so.
BamaFan121s is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!