View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
YorkieRiley
Yorkie Talker

Default Leaving Yorkie Home Alone... Help

Hello! We put our 7month old Riley in a pen (laundry room) with a baby gate. He has everything he needs in there, including an open crate to lay/hide in. Riley has a little bit of separation anxiety. He barks when we leave but doesn't seem to tear things up much, at least while confined in his pen. He has a dog walker who comes at noon every day.

Now to the problem...
Last week, Riley figured out he could jump over the baby gate. The first time was on my day off while I was running to the store. He met me at the door. Nothing was out of place or chewed up. When I left he was pretty tired, so he probably just laid down the whole time. The next day, he did the same thing. Both times he was only alone for a couple hours... so who knows what he would get into if left out all day long. I made the gate higher by adding a board to it. He hasn't escaped all week until today. The dog walker called and said he met her at the door. He tore up some pee pads, but that's all that he seemed to do. She didn't want to put him back in the pen because she feared that he could break a leg or get hung since he is jumping that high. So I'm at work, over an hour away, and he's at home having a field day. He is house trained. He holds it until let outside. If we are home and he doesn't make it outside in time, he'll go on a pad. I'm afraid if we leave a pad out he'll keep tearing it up and will just do his business anywhere. Do you think at this age that he'll be fine to leave out of his pen as long as things are "puppy proofed"? Or should I make the gate higher and keep him in the pen.

What do you all do with your yorkies while at work? I'm going to leave work early and hopefully the house will be in one piece.
YorkieRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!