View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
Bruce's_Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Default HELP!!!Brruce is a problem child!!!

Bruce is really really becoming a problem and I am at a loss for what to do, it seems I have tried everything...Here is the list of behavioral problems he is having...
(1) Potty training regression. He had been consistently using his pads, now he does about 1/2 the time. I know Yorkies can be difficult so I am not blamining him too much, but I am consistent with rewarding him for using the pad, and I have been using all those sprays that are supposed to attract him. I am at a loss!
(2) Excessive Barking, randomly and for no reason...We can be playing and he will stop and for no apparant reason begin running around the house barking at the top of his lungs. He never responds to any attempt I make to have him stop.
(3) Selective Hearing: Bruce hears what he wants to hear and comes when he wants to come. I am really concerned about this because what if I need him to come to avoid danger and he refuses. The other thing is he will absolutely never ever come to anyone other than me, and will literally give other people a look that says "who the hell do you think you are to tell me what to do."
(4) Refussal to learn any commands: Bruce just will get off task when we are working together, treats do not seem to be helping (he will occassionally spit them out), praise does not help, nothing seems to work. He again does what I tell him to do when he feels like it...I am consistent too, we work on his commands for at least 10-15 minutes a day (that is usually all he will do before becoming testy). At least he has stopped pulling on the leash...
(5) He is very very demanding of my time: Bruce is my shadow, he wants to be held a lot, he is affectionate, and loves to be with me all the time. THIS I LOVE! However, he is protective of me when other people try to touch me in any way he will squeeze in between us and bark/growl at them. He has bit people quite hard when the sit next to me and do not make way for him. If he is separated from me at all while we are doing anything and I am remotely in sight he just cries until I pick him up (I mean even while I am in the bathroom, the other day he even managed to jump right into the shower while I was in it), and if I even pet another dog it is all over, Bruce who is normally playful with other little guys and sweet becomes aggressive and loud. When I describe this to you it cannot capture how bad it is, it is at the point where some people just cannot come around me, because he bothers them so much or they are afraid he will get mad and snap/bite...

Now I want to say...I love this little baby very much, and no matter how bad he got I would never (a) give him up, (b) use physical punishment, (c) do anything that would make him feel unloved, or (d) give up on him! Bruce is my life, I just want to be able to share that life with others...Please give me advice on positive nonmean training methods...The professional trainer thinks the problem is that Bruce is overly indulged by me and overly coddled. She thinks I "comfort" him to much, but hey if he is scared or feeling upset that is my job. Her suggestion was literally to try ignoring him completely (obviously with the exception to that being to feed and water him) for like 2 days and see how he reacts to me, but that is cruel in my opionion....HELP!!!
Bruce's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!