View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
JCarlson2004
Mommy To 3 Poochies
Donating Member

Cry Having Trouble Training My Dogs - Voice Commands

I am having a hard time training my dogs to obey commands like "Sit" and "Roll Over", etc. When I first had only Codie, he was SO easy to train! He is such a good, sweet little boy and so obedient! But ever since I got Katie, it's been hard training them both. Katie is fresh (in a cute way) and Codie goes along w/ whatever she does. They're partners in crime! Does anyone have any advice on training dogs, especially 2 dogs at the same time? I really need my dogs to learn "STOP" or some type of command to make them stop running away when they're outside because of what happened Saturday. Here is what happened:

I went to take the garbage outside and Codie and Katie ran out before I had a chance to close the screen door. So I called for them to stop running but they kept going right out of the gate. I raced after them like a mad woman (nearly having a stroke!!!) and when I said STOP, they would stop and turn around and look at me, then when I moved toward them, they would start to run again. They ran across a street (I almost died) and I finally caught them because they got distracted from sniffing a tree. Jim my hubby heard me outside and ran out to help me. I don't know if you guys are familiar w/ Brooklyn but we have BUSY streets and I was so afraid that they could get hit by car. Anyway, I NEVER let me dogs out w/out wearing a harness and leash but what if something like this happens again? I need to teach them to stop when I tell them to or else (god forbid) they can get killed.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!