View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
For My Coby
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

I love the "of course" title!

Coby's at 7 months, and just when I'm ready to brag, we have a setback. We do the potty pads AND outside route with both our dogs (Yorkie and Shi Tzu). That way in bad weather, we have options. Coby is just now learning this, but Reggie's (the older one) paper is in the basement. So when he has to go, he goes to the stairs and stares at us asking if he should go "downstairs" or "outside". We say which direction we want him to go, and he bolts either down the stairs or toward the door!

Since Mindy is having trouble "knowing" where to potty all the time, it might be a good idea to take a few steps back. That's what we do. Coby was getting a little more freedom, but a couple of accidents later, we had to backtrack a little bit. In my opinion, most of the accidents that Coby has are my fault for being lax in watching him. But I try to make it nearly impossible for him to fail. If I can't watch him 100%, he is in the kitchen where he doesn't have accidents. We're just adding a room of freedom at a time. (We're only on room #2)

I subscribe to the crate-just-big-enough-to-turn-around-in system (not everyone does, but it's worked for us).

It's hard because I think it's up to us to be diligent for a few months in order to have years of carefree pottying!! Someone on here said that she actually sets a timer for an hour or so to remind her to take hers potty. I thought that was a GREAT idea, because time can get away from me!

Good Luck!
For My Coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!