View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
sashajade
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu View Post
Hi GUys,
I am beside myself when I chat about my 12 yr old little guy. He developed this thing where he would go down on his stomach and move his feet but couldn't get up. This lasted 2-3 secs. I took him for a MRI and we found out that he has 2 slip discs.One in his back and one in his neck. The neck one is causing pressure on his spinal cord which causes the disruption of fluid to the cord which causes this event. I don't know what we should do yet....surgery? it is worth it. Would he recover fully at 12? Would he be back to normal? Would he last the surgery? we are hertbroken and are exploring our options . What is good for him as well...
I probably wil opt for surgeyr because we love him!!!

HAs anyomne experienced this? Does anyone know the life expectancy of yorkies. We want to help him awnd this is tearing us up.
thanks,
stu
im sorry hes having problems and send get well wishes.
i dont know about back problems sorry, i would ask the vet if he is in pain and then think about what to do, i have 2 yorkies that are nearly 14 and one who had to be put out to have his teeth done who also has heart failure so even older dogs can be put out without problems but there is a greater risk.
i had to have this done as he was in pain but if he hadnt of been then i wouldnt of had it done at his age.
if i were in your shoes i would ask if hes in pain, if it will get worse, if so what will happen, then talk to the vet and ask him what he thinks should be done.
yorkies seem to be anything from 12 to 16 years old when they pass away but i have heard of younger ones and much older ones like a lady whos lived to 24. best of luck.
sashajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!