View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
SANDYSAND
Mommy Loves Koda & Kacy!
Donating Member

Default Someone send me this once b4...I asked the same ???

A little bit of licking is considered normal for dogs, but if it is excessive, there is definitely something wrong. If your pet is eating a good quality dog food and has normal stool production, then there is no vitamin or nutrient deficiency at play. Medical reasons could include viral infections, liver disease, anal gland infections, skin disorders, or other painful conditions. A visit to your veterinarian will help determine if your dog is suffering from any of these conditions.

In most situations, what you are describing is an obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) like those seen in humans, such as nail biting or constantly washing your hands. The cause is usually anxiety, although it may be genetic. Doberman Pinschers are prone to sucking on their skin and causing lick granulomas (thick open sores), while German shepherds and bull terriers will compulsively chase their tails.

Obsessive licking is commonly associated with other nervous behavior, such as separation anxiety or noise phobias. One of my dogs licks her feet excessively any time I start packing for a vacation. The more suitcases I pack, the more aggressively she licks. She also freaks when large trucks pass on the street. OCD can be expressed as any repetitive behavior, and is just a cry for attention. Often it occurs just when we are preparing to leave for work or when we are using the telephone--any action that takes attention away from your pet may provoke the licking.

It would be helpful to videotape your pet while you're away to see if the licking continues when he is alone. Often owners never actually see the pet licking themselves, and yet they have saliva stains up and down the front legs (a rusty, red discoloration). By giving attention, be it negative or positive, we reinforce the behavior. In other words, we would do best to ignore it altogether. Of course if it is severe, you will need to get involved and usually that requires using drugs combined with behavior modification. For separation anxiety we like to use clomipramine, fluoexetine, and the tricyclic antidepressants used in humans. Of course, these need to be prescribed by your vet.

If your pet suffers from separation anxiety, behavior modification is achieved by changing the way you leave the house. For example, try changing the door you leave from if possible, using the front door instead of the garage. Try changing the order in which you eat breakfast, get dressed, clean up, etc. Dogs observe and measure everything we do. By watching us repeat the same rituals every day they can tell if we are going out for the entire day or just out to get a newspaper. Try and outsmart them by altering the pattern.

Since licking is a cry for attention, it may mean your pet is not getting enough. Make an attempt to provide more exercise, more play time, and more love if you're not already doing so.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!