View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Recently, Bailey has started licking a couple of spots, one on his right front leg and on one of his hind legs. Not all the time, mostly when he lies down either for a nap or at night. The front leg has a dime sized area where the hair is licked clean to the skin. I have seen where it is possible there is an allergy, skin infection, etc. I was wondering if there is anything such as obsessive licking and what might be done for it? (some breeds have similar "quirks")

Otherwise my boy is well adjusted, well exercised and properly fed.

Thanks,
Samc and Bailey

some dogs can have OCD and licking is one of the symptoms. It could also be allergies, skin infection (prior to licking or because of licking), it could be out of boredom, and it could be out of habit. Morgan chews her feet sometimes while she's lying down and i tell her to stop.

first i would take him to the vet for a skin scraping to see if its allergies or mites or something like that. And also to see if its infected. If its no to all these things then its either out of boredom, habit or OCD. best way to deal with this is to distract him with something else. Or put something on his legs to deter him from licking like bitter apple, solid deoderent, ben-gay, or vicks vapor rub.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!