View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
Izzy Princess
Therapy Dog
Donating Member

Animal Smiley 036 Some Potty Training Solutions

I belong to another forum for Clicker Training and someone just posted that their two year old dog was having major potty issues in the house. Since I've seen several posts the last few days addressing the same problem I thought I would paste what some of the clicker trainers on that forum provided as possible solutions....maybe this will help somewhat with those with potty issues.

1) Has he/she spent much time in that room? If not, she may not see it yet as part of her "den." Pups who are semi-housetrained will often go off to eliminate in parts of the house that aren't usual family hang-outs because they haven't yet expanded their concept of "den" to that room. That's why 4 month old puppies should not have free run of the house. :}

2) Hmmm, is your 2yo potty trained? Does she still wear diapers, or 'pull ups'? Does she have potty accidents, especially in her bed at night? If no to all these Qs, then, is it possible that there is some residual odor of urine in her mattress?

If so, I would assume the pup is drawn to the odor of urine, and is just attracted to going where someone has gone before. A dog's scenting ability is so much more discerning than our own. I'd do some serious odor neutralizing with an enzyme cleaner in the 2 yo's room, and keep the pup tethered to me when on the second floor, if not everywhere when not crated. I'd take her outside for potty breaks more frequently, and avoid taking her in the 2 yo's room entirely, for awhile, until she has the 'rules' better generalized.

Hope this helps and if I see any more responses from trainers I will post to this thread.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!