View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

I know this sounds ridiculous with all of our "flying yorkies" but I read that you should never let them jump off or onto anything higher than their shoulder! AArrrghhh!

The reason they gave, other than the obvious risk of breaking a leg, was that in later years the cumulative effect of the stress on their joints could cause severe arthritis. I know there is no way to prevent the jumping but we can probably lessen it by using ramps and steps as Fasteddie suggested. We can also train them not to jump off things that are too high by not encouraging it and even discouraging it with the "no" comman when appropriate.

I did have a minaiture poodle in my 20s who developed arthritis when she was older and I feel terribly gulity now because I used to let her jump up and down from all of my furniture incluing a huge and very tall king size bed.

I try now with my westie nd my yorkies to have steps to the beds, the couches and the chairs they are allowed on. Yorkies and terriers in general are very athletic (Chai I swear has springs!) and agile so I think small jumps are okay, but everything in moderation I guess.
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!