View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

The lactulose will help an incredible amount. It's best to give 3-4 small meals per day and give lactulose directly after each meal so that the toxins can be absorbed and pushed out.

Milk thistle will also be a big help. You might look into giving max Hepatosupport (which contains milk thistle and other beneficial supplements) which you can buy online at www.homevet.com.

Denosyl is another supplement that is very beneficial but it must be given whole, never broken, and on an empty stomach. If this is not a possiblity, they sell a product on www.homevet.com that is called Vetri-DMG. It does basically the same thing as Denosyl.

Which low protein food are they putting Max on?

I think you're talking about MVD/HMD (hepatic microvascular dysplasia)...

It's very important that you get the dosage for lactulose right since your dog is showing symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy. The way to determine how much lactulose to give is based on the dog's stool consistency...Max's stool should be soft and difficult to pick up, but not diarrhea and not firm. If he has diarrhea a couple of times while you're trying to get the dosage just right, that's okay. It'll clean his system out and just cut back the dosage a little.

I hope this info helps you...Also, I know I've posted this on your threads a million times, but I hope you consider joining the liver shunt and mvd group. They are very knowledgable on that group and they have so much information in the Files section that will be a great help to you.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/L...d_MVD_Support/

If you have any questions at all, please ask.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!