View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Default Just Had A 1-hr Consult w/ an Animal Nutritionist!!!

She was SO great. She works for a holistic vet in California and consults for pets w/ cancer as well. She has a Masters, an MBA, and is a CCN (certified clinical nutritionist). We had a phone consult about Marcel. As some of you know, I've been struggling ever since he had his 2 bouts w/ giardia - with mushy/mucousy/jelly stools. She said she couldn't count how many dogs she sees w/ ibd/ibs/colitis who had giardia as puppies, then come to her 5 years later with a chronic history of mushy stools.

I've tried everything, am homecooking presently w/ premium kibble for grazing. Well, she's putting Marcel on a hypoallergenic home cooked diet w/ NO kibble whatsoever. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited after talking with her and am finally hopeful for a solution for my little guy. It will be a whitefish-based diet, eventually adding in salmon, but not yet. And, 2 new supplements for his gut. From there, we will add things to his diet if he does well.

One of the MOST INTERESTING things she mentioned was that, when your dog is sick w/ diarrhea, soft stools, and/or nausea - one the WORST things you can give is BOILED CHICKEN AND RICE. She said that chicken is one of the most highly allergenic foods she encounters in dogs - and that brown rice is allergenic as well. She is constantly educating vets about trying to stop the myth of giving boiled chicken and rice.

Anyway, just had to share. If anyone has issues that are turning chronic and needs an expert in nutrition (bc vets are generally not experts there), I highly recommend her, she is very sharp.

GO MARCEL! GO MARCEL'S POO!

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!