View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 AM   #1
moniquem3
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New to all of this..

Hello everyone! I've seen some pretty adorable Yorkies around here! I'm hoping that our little girl will be just as adorable.
I'm new to all of this. I'm going from having had Chocolate Labs for 13yrs to getting a Yorkie. My fiance has grown up with his Godmothers Yorkie, Goober, who turned 18 this year! YES, 18!!! He is now blind and deaf, but still gets around. We went to look at 2 litters of Yorkies last week and have placed a deposit on a puppy. We can bring her home on September 22nd. I've got mixed emotions about it. I'm scared and nervous, but very excited at the same time.
We went out and purchased a "Yorkshire Terrier" magazine. I've been reading through it, and trying to get "up to speed" on everything. She will most likely go to work with my fiance daily - on days that she can't go with him (when the weather is bad) she would stay home, but he'd come home at lunch to play with her.. he works 10 minutes from home.

I am trying to find out what food to feed her. I can't seem to find anything that I'm "happy" about wanting to feed her. I don't know what she is being fed at the breeders house, I forgot to ask. What do I want to look for in a food? My Labradors were always on Inova, I've seen a few people suggest that. I've also seen that Royal Cainn (not sure on the spelling) offers a food made "just for" Yorkshire's - but that it's for 10mos and older.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on litterbox training/paper training? We live in Vermont.. I'm afraid she won't want to go outside in the Winter, and if it's really cold - I don't want to force a 5lbs dog to go outside! She'll freeze to death! She'll also be a "boat dog" during the summers.. and having her paper trained would make boating much easier on all of us.

Thoughts and opinions on Yorkies as Thearphy Dogs & Agility Dogs would be awsome also. Again, my Labradors were both. Oddly enough there were articles on BOTH in the Yorkshire magazine I picked up. With the work I do, I'd love for her to be a Theraphy Dog - it would allow for me to bring her to work with me.

And my last question.. BARKING. How can we work with her to make sure she's not a CONSTANT barker. That's my only "fear" of getting a Yorkie. I'm not a fan of "Yippers". My fiances mother has a s**tzu and she doesn't bark unless you ask it of her.. and I'm hoping Bella is the same way..

Thank you for reading my babble! I'll leave you with a picture of our little one..

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...Yorkies005.jpg
moniquem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!