View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
yorkie mama 07
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default new and need advice

I am new and came across this while looking for answers about my Yorkie (Timmy)'s cough. He was 11 weeks when I got him and right away I noticed the cough and runny nose. So I took him to the vet who said it was kennel cough. He put him on an antibiotic for two weeks. The runny nose went away almost immediately and the cough got less frequent. He finished the antibiotics and was still coughing so I took him back. He said the strains now are harder to get rid of and are taking up to 6 weeks. He put him on something differednt and again I noticed improvement but it did not completely stop. After that two week course I waited about two weeks and the cough got worse again. I took him back and the vet said out of all of the strains of kennel cough only a few are bacterial and that he might have one of the viral strains. So, he put him back on the first thing to cover the bases. I has now been about a month since the end of that cycle and it is still the same. On the last visit he talked about trachea issues, but said since it doesn't always happen when he gets excited or plays it was probably not it.It is the worst when he gets woken up or wakes up himself at all times of day and night. It also happens several other times a day during all different activities. The vet says his heart sounds good, but when I feel it beating it seems irregular. I am worried that all of this could be heart related and that he may have fluid in his lungs. When he is coughing it sometimes sounds wet and every cough ends with a gag. I am just going off of what I know about people though(I am a nurse). He is almost five months now. He has not even gotten well enough for the vet to give him his shots. I am going to ask the vet to do a chest x-ray and an x-ray of his trachea. Does anyone else have any suggestions or think this sounds familiar? I can always tell the days when he is feeling the worst because his ears drop. They have been down all day today. Sorry this is long but I am out of ideas and the vet doesn't seem to be as worried as I have become.
yorkie mama 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!