View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Default The Healing Power of Dogs! A Story!

I received this story in an email from my father to day and I wanted to share. Unfortunately, it came without the author listed so I am not able to give credit where credit is due, but it was obviously meant to be share so I am taking a chance and posting it. Hope you enjoy.

An unusual pet!

Anyone with pets will love this one. You'll like it even if you don't. You may even decide you need a pet after reading this.

Mary and her husband Jim had a dog named Lucky. Lucky was a real character. Whenever Mary and Jim had company stay for a weekend visit, they would always warn their friends not to leave their luggage open because Lucky would help himself to their personal items.

Inevitably someone would forget to close their suitcase and something would come up missing. Mary or Jim would go to Lucky's toy box located in the basement and there the missing item would be, amid all of Lucky's favorite toys. Lucky always stashed his finds in the toy box and he was very particular that all of his toys stay in that box.

It happened that Mary was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was sure it was going to be fatal-something inside told her that she was going to die of this disease. She was scheduled for a double mastectomy. The night before going into the hospital, she cuddled with Lucky. What would happen to Lucky if she died? Although the 3 year old dog got along with Jim, Lucky was Mary's dog through and through. Mary thought-if I die, Lucky will be abandoned,he won't understand. The thought made her sadder than thinking of her own possible death.

The next day, Mary had her surgery. It was harder on her than her doctors had anticipated. Mary was hospitalized for nearly a month. Jim took Lucky for his daily walks faithfully, but the poor dog just shuffled along, whining the entire time. Jim didn't know what to do.

Finally, the day came when Mary was released from the hospital. When she arrived home, she was so weak that she couldn't make it up the few steps into the house. Jim made his wife comfortable on the living room couch and let her nap. Lucky stood in the doorway watching Mary but he wouldn't come any closer. Once, Mary woke up and called to Lucky, but the dog remained where he was. Mary dozed off again.

When Mary woke a second time, she couldn't understand what was wrong. She couldn't move her head, her body felt heavy, and she was sweating from the heat. Panic soon gave way to uncontrollable laughter when Mary finally realized her problem. She was covered, literally blanketed with every treasure Lucky owned. While Mary had slept, the sorrowing dog had made trip after trip to the basement toy box, bringing his beloved mistress his favorite things in life. He had covered her with his love.

Mary forgot about dying. Instead, she and Lucky began living again. Each day they walked a little further around the house and then around the corner until Mary regained all her strength.

It's been 7 years now and Mary is still cancer free. And Lucky? He still steals treasures and stashes them in his toy box, but Mary remains his greatest treasure.

Live every day to the fullest because every day is a treasure from God
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!