View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

With your larger breeds, testosterone does play a role in the development of body in males. However, it's not so significant that it makes a difference if your dog is a pet only - it's really only important for show quality dogs. With the smaller ones, there really is no difference in development. A lot of vets say 6 months is the time to spay/neuter, but many will alter pets much earlier than this. Your puppy needs to be at least 2lbs. Shelters will spay and neuter as early as 8 weeks to insure that the puppies adopted out will actually be altered, but I think that is probably really too early. I think anytime between 16 weeks and 6 months is a good time to do it, but it will depend on when your vet will do it because most still believe in that "6 month rule."

As long as you have the funds, I'd have them neutered at the same time. They'll both recover at the same time and you'll only have to go through that once.
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!