Thread: no show
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #8
Higgin's Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Default I can relate to this problem!

My husband and I were both widowed and met on Match.com in 1998. He is still close to his wife's younger sister, which is fine with me. EXCEPT, she cancels any plans 98% of the time, and usually with only an hour's notice! She lived about 65 miles from us, so we always called before starting out, even if the plans had been confirmed. We would often invite them for dinner, and I would go to a good deal of trouble to cook just the right things -- she is diabetic and very picky. And then, of course, she would cancel, saying she wasn't feeling well. When I got tired of throwing out food/eating leftovers, we decided to just invite them to eat OUT with us, so cancellations wouldn't be such a problem.

She also INSISTED on celebrating Christmas with LOTS of gifts. We don't have the budget for this, nor do we do this kind of thing for our own kids/grandkids. I did not know her, so it was difficult to pick stuff out for her. Our house was FILLED with junk she had gifted DH and her sister with over the years. One Christmas, she cancelled getting together so many times that we did not exchange the gifts until JUNE!!!! And one of the gifts she gave me was a gift I had given her several years previously!! We gently told them that since we were going to live in an RV and travel full-time, we thought it would be good to discontinue the Christmas "giving." She acted VERY hurt. Oh well.

Since we have moved to Florida and she lives in Maine, we aren't faced with the problem at the moment. When we go to visit Maine, we will ask them out to lunch, and if they show, great, if they don't, we'll keep on truckin' down the road..............

Oh yeah.....then there's my brother.....love him dearly, but the man will be late to his own funeral!!!! At least an hour late, as he is to EVERYTHING else!!! What the whole family does is tell him that "dinner is at 5", and he better show up on time. Then we PLAN for dinner for 6. He's right on time at 6. However, I think people who are late are just plain rude. My time is as valuable as theirs as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks for letting me vent.
Higgin's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!