View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
LillyH
Yorkie Yakker

Thank you to each and all of you. I should have maybe written Lilly's size in a different manner. Her exact weight before pregnancy was 3 lbs 11 oz. I just wrote it as 3.75 to keep it simple... actually meaning 3 & 3/4 lbs. I realise now that the way I wrote it, it appears that she is 3 lbs 7 1/2 ounces & that's just not so. Sorry for any confusion.
I'm sure most will still consider her extremely tiny, but at least not quite as tiny as I'm sure you may have been thinking.
Yes cj125, I agree completely that she still may grow a bit yet. Her parents are both in the 5-5.5 lbs area, and same wih her grandparents. My male I have no idea of his grandparents, but his Dad is 3.5 lbs, and his Mom is just over 4 lbs. It would take some doing to find out grandparents exact weights. However he was exactly 4 lbs 3 oz when he and Lilly mated.

I've been temperature taking 3-4times a day for the last week & weighing her every morning just to keep on top of it all. So far no real signs of labour yet. Her temp just keeps fluctuating up & down between 100.1 & 99.3. She did start nesting in her whelping box lastnight for the first time, so we know the time is drawing near.

Yes, my vet seems quite compitent, I just wish the office was closer than the 20+ min drive. I've made sure to keep my car gassed up just in case.
Its sad because I have a vet office less than 5 minutes up the road, but they really don't seem quite as knowledgable when it comes to the tiny dogs. Not to mention they wanted over $150 for an x-ray, and require an automatic $1000 deposit up front right away if there is even a remote chance of a c-section needed. I found that a bit rude & abnoxious myself... since they hadn't even seen my girl yet.

Speaking of whelping boxes... I built mine out of a large tote & put the dowels in at 2" depth & height like suggested, but I'm wondering if the side rails are really so important? I know the purpose is to prevent Mama from squishing or suffocating the puppies, but at her size should I really be so concearned? I only ask because it seems like she is really put off by them & is more hesitant to stay in there now that I put them in. She absolutely loved it before that. I went a little over board with curtains that slide completely out of the way hanging over the doorway... but it looks so much like a cozy little home & so much cuter now

Thanks again to all of you :-)
Tina

Last edited by LillyH; 08-26-2007 at 07:10 PM.
LillyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!