View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieSue View Post
I have written several times about Buddy (and Dixie too but for different reasons) and his IBD and how my heart was and is breaking. I have sent several private messages and have also received some wonderful suggestions. I have read so much about IBD now that I am quite familiar with much of what should be tried with dogs who have this depressing (for me) and painful (for them) malady.

Anyway, I asked my vetS about that Tylan powder and they did know about it. I have opted to not use it, however since it is just another antibiotic and I am trying to get Buddy OFF those things. This is going to be a slow process, I can see that now.

Anyhow, even though Buddy is still on Reglan and pepsid daily (tiny dose) and is still eating his i/d prescription food diet I have new hope for him. I am SURE that some of you suggested probiotics because of his antibiotic use but to be honest I don't quite remember. I do know that I, when on an antibiotic, eat yogurt so I have know the wonders of friendly bacteria. Buddy, however, is lactose intolerant as I found out when I tried to give him a little yogurt. I never considered trying it again in a different form--until now.

Last week I went to the most wonderful health food store in VT and came across a wonderful nutritionist who works there. I got lucky. She and I discussed Buddy and everything mentioned on this site. She then pointed me to a powdered probiotic , non-dairy that she said I had nothing to lose by trying with him. I did. It is now NINE DAYS, COUNT 'EM, NINE DAYS since Buddy has been sick and I am doing cartwheels. This probiotic has obviously restored some balance to this poor little guy's digestive system but I know I have a way to go with him. I know that I cannot count on just this to keep him in remission. I am going back to this nutritionist on Tues to report the wonderful news and I think she is then going to suggest an enzyme formula for him too. Eventually, I HOPE to have him off the meds totally and if I am really lucky onto a more nutritious feeding regime. For now, though, just adding this probiotic powder SEEMS to be really helping him. I pray to God that it isn't just luck that he is feeling and eating so well. OMG, what a difference in him.

Now I had best shut up lest I jinx myself and Buddy. Would love to hear about all of your experiences with probiotics and enzymes if anyone would care to share. Bye now, YorkieSue
you have to give goat yogurt as easier for them to digest but the dds plus is really good as well. I/D by hill's has pork in it and is high in fat and ibd can lead to pancreatitis and vice versa so I would be careful of that food. dexter is on purina ha which is a soy based diet and easier on the stomach to digest - he has not vomitted in 4 months. Ibd can be in large intestine (diarhea) or small intestine (vomitting). Dexter's is small intestine and he either had ibd and it led to severe pancreatitis or his bought of severe pancreatitis caused his ibd. He gets nothing but his kibble now.

Doniasea@aol.com is a great nutritionalist. You can consult with her for free. She does sell great blue green algae enzymes to help them digest their food. She is big on home cooking.

When i went to hospital to internal medicine doctors they said dexter got the severe pancreatitis from the i/d food that vet gave him from the mild case he had to begin with. They said they wish hills would take off the list as more dogs get sick on that food as it has pork in it and that is a high fat meat and pancreatitis and ibd dogs need to be on a low fat diet.

Dexter was on pepcid as well but since he is on purina ha he does not take anything.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!