Thread: Gruel???
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyRenee View Post
Okay, My little Puppy is 4 wks old and I have been trying to give her the Gerber Rice cereal mixed with some puppy formula that I get from the vets office. She is now regecting it. As well as the bottle. I cant get her to eat as good ,(So it seems) However, she must be getting something in because she is gaining weight everyday. So I heard someone mention on here that they put Karo syrup in their Gerber rice cereal mix. But someone mentioned that when they did their pup got constipated because she was giving a to much Karo syrup. (If I read correctly) Sooooooo, i was wondering if someone could give me measurements of a mixture that I could give that would be safe.. and can I give mushy puppy food to her?

I just want to make sure she is getting enough in... To how much milk, to how much gruel should she be eating a day. Oh yeah, when do you introduce water or does she learn that on her own from her mommy???
Karo shouldn't be causing constipation.....it is a syrup and should assist in bowl movements. I use a about 3/4 tablespoon. never had problem with the rice ceral gruel. I use Just Born Milk replacer.

There is also the whelping pudding recipe I've posted on several threads. Very natural....no sugar, which can cause dirreah....use knox geletin, melted in 16 oz warm water, 15 oz can of everaporated milk. 2 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of karo, and 2 tablespoons of vanilla yogurt. Mix all together and refrigerate until firm...spoon out as needed. I use it for my nursing moms and for weaning.....pups love it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!