View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
paddys mom
Senior Yorkie Talker

I know you're frustrated but please don't think of giving up your baby over this. I was similarly frustrated with mine pooping in his crate but then I found out I was leaving him in too long and feeding him too late at night. (well..my fiance was feeding him too late lol) So I fixed that and suddenly he got it with the poop too.

Unfortunately you probably need to start over. When you crate trained her did you take her out FIRST thing in the morning when she definitely had to go and wait until she went? No matter what you do you HAVE to wait as long as it takes them to go, or else they don't get why they were even outside. And if they do happen to go inside when you can see, like someone else said you must pick them up and say a firm "NO" and take them outside. Also you should use "eliminate" or natures miracle stain remover to get rid of the pee smell. They love to go where they have gone before. And when she does do it right PRAISE. I still praise mine all the time just to keep it enforced as the right thing to do. I think crate training works really well, but if you don't want to go back to that, at least keep him confined or like on your lap where he won't be able to make a mistake unsupervised. Those mistakes aren't good for training b/c you can't step in and make a correction. Even though mistakes that you catch are annoying they are actually really good for the training process b/c when you correct them it really helps them make the connection to what you want. Its all about being clear with what you want them to do.

Mine's 14mo old now and though i won't say he never messes up, it is extremely rare now, and usually when he does its my fault because I missed the signs that he needed to go out. It probably also helps that i don't and never will have carpet.lol.

Good luck, hope my rambling is some help.
paddys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!