Thread: Stud Size?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 06:02 AM   #9
Breny
My Tiny Treasures
Donating Member

I agree completly, and I'm in constant "learn" mode. I am looking at grandparents of the pups as well. Thanks so much for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeousYT View Post
It seems like everyone is looking for a 3 lb stud.
I have had a lot of people looking for a male and had held back a gorgeous boy who at 10 months is 6 lbs 4 ounces he has been at 6 lbs since about 5 1/2 - 6 months that is a standard size from standard sire and dam etc. .
Gorgeous confirmation, great bite etc. But when any inquires about him they immeadiately are no longer interested due to his 6 lbs. lol but they were so interested in his litter mate who was 4 1/2 lbs who has now grown I think another lb.

I know when I started I wanted 4 1/2 lbs. But realize after many years that 6 lbs is fine..lol and it depends on whats behind the size of that male too.
3 lb male could be from 7 - 8 lb ancestors.

deana

dray;1324251]It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to get small little money makers , then by all means go with a little boy but if you are breeding to standard and you are hoping for quality, then you need a quality boy. My boys are 5 to 6 pounds and they have been shown and are AKC Champions. 5 pounds is really small enough for me, I hope you find a nice boy.
Just remember the size of the grandparents matters too, find out as much as you can.

It can be very difficult to purchase a quality male for breeding with a great pedigree if you are not showing and trying to improve the breed.

Best of Luck to you.
[/QUOTE]

Breny is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!