View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
RowdysMom
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Nurse here, for 34 years. Nothing much bothers me - but trauma in the ER does! When I worked in the hospital, I worked in ICU so I took care of trauma all the time. But I could not work in ER, because I couldn't stand seeing people with traumatic injuries dressed in everyday clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc. come into the ER with trauma. By the time they got to me in ICU, they were either naked with a sheet over them or had on a hospital gown. The trauma didn't bother me a bit then. Wierd, I know. But it has to do with personalization - the more personal (e.g., clothes) the more it bothered me.

The person who talked about the bad working conditions in hospitals is correct - BUT there ARE great hospitals to work in - particularly magnet hospitals. If you have a choice of hospital employment, choose a magnet hospital. The great thing about nursing is that there are so many different things that you can do. You don't have to work in a position in which you are miserable - you simply change trajectories!

I think she also called nursing a "job". I've worked in nursing for 34 years, and I have never had a nursing "job". Nursing is my career, my profession, it is my passion, it is my life, and my joy - but never a "job".

The sights/smells/sounds will get better. Try to detach and do the "task" that is making you feel queasy. You will get through it! Like another poster said, eventually, you can do most anything and eat at the same time! LOL! Enjoy!

Last edited by RowdysMom; 08-22-2007 at 03:33 PM.
RowdysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!