View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
motya
Yorkie Talker

Default few questions from begginer

Thanks everyone who response! I really appreciate your support and advices.
My Maggie is only 8 weeks old. She is very smart and first few nights she was doing not so bad. I understand about adjustment to a new house and I was very patient. Actually the first night I couldn't sleep not because she did something wrong, but because I was too excited and looked at her every now and then. I didn't put her into a crate at first. May be it was my mistake. I bought a pet taxi instead of crate, it is big enough, but the top part can be taken off and then it looks like a bed. So I use that pat taxi as a bed and sometimes as a crate. I also put a potty pad next to it and on a second night she knew where to go and since then I have no problem with that. But day after day she became more active and she starts exploring. My daughter (12 years old) stays with her during the day while me and my husband are at work. So we have somebody at home at all times. But now our Maggie doesn't like to sleep in her bed (which is converted to a crate when we all have to go some place). And she really loves our couch. Now she looks up at the couch and tries to jump on it and she whine, because she can't reach it. Same start happening during the night. She does the same with the bed. The moment I take her to the bed, she settls and keeps quite. When I try to put her back into her own bed, she can stay there for a little while and then again asking me to take her into the bed. Last night I locked her in the crate after 3:30 am. She didn't stop whining until it was time for me to stand up and go to work. When I let her out she was very happy.
I have a feeling that she stoped liking her bed because I can lock her there. Should I continue locking her there until she get used to it? What I should do about the couch? I don't mind her sleeping on it sometimes, but I mind her to do the same with our bed. I told my daughter to keep her on the floor at all times. May be we spoiled her by keeping her on our laps and next to us on the couch.
Another question : Maggie likes to play with our hands or our feet. She bites, but not bad and we all enjoy it for now. Can it grow into a bad habit that when her teeth became bigger and stronger we would have a problem? Or may be she understand that we are playing with her and she wouldn't do us a real bite?
And another one: I was warned about hypoglucemia. Few times I was concerned that Maggie sleeps a lot and not very active. Is it the case? What should I do then? I can't make her eat if she doesn't want to, can I? The breeder told me to keep the food at all times and let her eat when she wants to, but remove food and water at night times. But some other people told me that I should feed her 2-3 times a day and that is it. Which advice to follow? For now I remove the food only for a while after she finishes eating and after few hours put it back. But she doesn't have a specific schedule yet. It is quite random now.
And the last question - when it is safe for her to go out? She had her first round of shots. Should I wait till the second round is done? I let her our in my backyard though for a short time. Is it safe?
Thanks again!
motya is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!