View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 AM   #2
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

You poor thing. I feel your exasperation. We had a chi who was never fully housetrained in six years of life. The good news is, you can start over and succeed. People do it all the time.

Tell us more about what you've tried. How do you feed? Do you leave the food out? Do you feed once, twice a day? What's your family's reaction when she goes in the house? Do you scold? What's the reaction when she goes outside? Do you praise?

Here's what I recommend:
* Put her on a feeding schedule. Twice a day.
* Thirty minutes after feeding, take her for a long walk. If she goes, praise, praise, praise and give her the best treats you have. (You don't have to do the walk all the time, but in the beginning you want to maximize your chances for success.)
*If she goes in the house and you don't catch her, ignore it.
* If she goes in the house and you catch her, give her a calm but firm "no" and carry her outside to an area you want her to go.
* Be patient.

Others will probably recommend that you go back to crate training. I don't have any experience with that but agree it's a good idea.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!