View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
Saragp
YT Addict

Default I just flew with mine; have some tips

Ok, I just returned from New Orleans with Abby. We had a great time and after my experience, I just had to share a few things I learned.

1. First class rocks! What a difference in attitudes.

I flew 1st half way and the attendant first told me that her head could come out of the carrier. A few minutes later, shesaid as long as Abby stays under the blanket, she AND the crew didn't really mind if she was out.

On my return, I didn't even ask anyone if I could take her out. I just did and she went right to sleep under the blanket.

2. Coach Stinks

The 2nd leg of my trip I was in coach. The attendant made it quite clear that she had to stay under the seat, alligned with the footing of the seat she was under.

3. Ask for ice

Everytime I boarded, I asked for ice. As it melted, I let Abby lick it off of my fingers during take off & landing. Landing seemed to be harder on her.

4. Listen for the "Attendants be seated for take off/landing'

Once everyone was down, I put the bag with Abby in my lap. I let her lick the ice and I brought some SOFT treats and let her force them out of my fingers. This kept her swallowing continuously. I did have to pace them. I didn't want her overloading on treats. But it kept her occuppied. She did get a bit scared with hearing the engines really crank on landing.

5. Airport clubs are lifesavers.

We had a 4 hour layover and I don't know what we would have done without the 'family room' in the club. Luckily, my husband travels OFTEN and has become a member. We were able to get a private room, let Abby play a bit, I pottied her in the restroom there without too many people coming in & out.

6. Strollers RULE!!

I recently purchased a dog stroller. What a great invention it is. After every landing, I put Abby in that. It gave her a bit more room to stretch than her carrier. I gate checked it at every location.
I took it everywhere we went. Walking around New Orleans was so nice with it. We were even allowed into a pub with it. They said as long as she stayed in it, they didn't mind. And we ate at some patio restaurants, and let her be on the outside of the fence. She technically sat right next to us. And it was nice to put all our souveniers on it so we didn't have to carry them.

For the plane part of our travel, Abby was very good. It is a lot of work making sure she was OK. At least it was for me. I do tend to worry too much sometimes.

I hope this helps someone out there thinking or planning on flying/traveling with there baby.
Saragp is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!