View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #45
Tx2Stepn
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
Be very careful with assuming that all is well if a pup is BA tested young and showed normal. A problem often may not show up until later and because the pup was BA tested it could absolve the breeder of responsibility when in fact, the pup had a problem just not severe enough for something to register.
I have also seen a BA test a bit above normal that was normal later.
BA tests are not as conclusive as many people, including uneducated vets in the matter, think.
A old time repro Vet I have consulted who also consults with Dr. Hutchings told me BA test only after 6 months of age, older is better and if no symptoms are present don't worry about it. I also tend to BA test small sized Yorkies but they don't go anywhere until close to a year of age already tested and spayed/neutered.
Yes, a reputable breeder should refund purchase price or take the puppy back if that's what the owner wants to do.
I enjoyed reading this post and I'm glad to know that there is someone else that their vet follows this protocol. We have at least 2 breeders in my area that are producing pups with liver shunt on a regular basis and they will not stop the repeat breedings. The vets are starting to carefully guide people away from them and we have some club members trying other avenues to put a stop to them. Some of these pups had negative BA test when younger. My vet explained to me what was going on as you explained above. Since I have Yorkies, ppl will talk to me about their experiences with these 2 breeders and it breaks my heart. I have been blessed to have healthy dogs and I thank God every day for them. The best thing that a breeder can do is stand behind their breeding, but there are so many that don't care what they are producing, or about the effects that it has on ppl, as long as they can sell a pup.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!