View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
pamaz
Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 036 Kristen senior gal w/ct

She was doing SO well--we had even weaned her off of her meds, but one night she just had a horrible bout w/it.

Just like the first time it happened, the last time it reoccurred it came from out of the blue. Back on meds... This time he put her on temaril.

Unfortunately when she gets going it's like she is in spasms and can't stop coughing, so I have to sedate her w/injectible ACE. It calms her down instantly, and soon after that she sleeps. It's like instant relief for her, not the best thing I am sure long term, but I just can't let her stay like that for too long, I'm afraid her lungs wil collapse or something.

The only thing which may be contributing is a possible URI. I have a foster shih tzu who has bad URI and another shih tzu who has started getting snotty and sneezing. I've heard Kristen reverse sneeze, which could be either the URI or CT.

I know it's aggravated by stress too--she doesn't like riding in the car, as soon as we start driving she starts honking, and it gets worse at the vet!

I've been reading a ton on it--all say bronchiodilators, antibiotics, anti inflammatories, cough suppressants and sedatives. I hate plowing her w' all of the drugs but I want to keep her from damaging her trachea even more, then hopefully we can get to a good point where we can manage it and she is comfortable.

I did know another yorkie who had CT but all she did was honk. Kristen sneezes, wheezes, pants, etc.

I will try the head tilting down. Oh, and she doesn't wear a collar or anything around her neck. The vet says to keep exercise down to a minimum so I've just cut her food to keep the weight down.

Pam
I
pamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!