Thread: Whelping box???
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
gqgrammy
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 019 Whelping Box

I, too, am new at this and just made my first whelping bpox. I used a heavy cardboard box that my new Kohler sink came in. I made a base out out 2X4's so the pups would gravitate to the middle, causing it to sag, so they would not go behind the mama and get smothered (this eleviates the need for the rail around the sides (so the books told me). I cut an opening in the front so the Mama could get in and out, but high enough that the pups couldn't. Also made a divider so she could have space when she wanted to have reat from them. I put a bathroom rug with rubber backing in the bottom and when it is time for her to have the pups, I will line it with newspapers. Also, just read that washable foam-rubber circular cushions with high sides padded with polyester fibre are also good to use. Cover the ring with a clean receiving blankets or disposable diapers to absorb the fetal fluids. After they are all born, Mom and babies can rest in there.

Supplies: Go to www.bonchien.com/whelpingchecklist for a comprehensive list of supplies you will need (and more importly, what they are for ).

A 'seasoned' member of the Yorkietalk forum recommended a great book
Quote:
The Joy of Breeding Your Own Show Dog
by Ann Seranne. I ordered it and have found it to be invaluable. Well worth the $21 on Amazon.com

We are due this week and are having five puppies! Good luck!

Lynn
gqgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!