Thread: Whelping box???
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'sMommy View Post
Thank You, like a rubbermade container?? I saw this on a different site, where they carefully remove one side of the container so the mommy and babies can get out
What I have used is a 3 x 3 playpen for whelping. It's higher and easier on my back when assisting mom when she's delivering pups. I've lined the top of the floor grate with 12 inch rubber tiles (get them at WhalMart in the exercise area). Use some of those tiles (cut down about to 8 inches high to line the sides of the pen to give pups and mom privacy. On top of the tiles I line with washable piddle pads (I do this so mom and pups will have sure footing). For the actual whelping box I use plastic doggie litter box which I put a crate pad lined with sheep wool and pinned at the bottom. The box is pretty large. I've made a cover for the whole pen out of quilted fabric to keep the area warm and for privacy. The pen is in my bedroom by my bed and Mom is placed in this pen about 2 weeks before her first due date and pups stay their until they are about 4 months of age.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!