View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
For My Coby
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Default Learning Manners with other Dogs

I'm moving this to the general forum for a little more exposure. There are a couple of other people awaiting your expertise too!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried to search through previous threads so that I don't make everyone repeat everything while rolling their eyes!! But I couldn't locate what I was looking for.....

I am looking for how everyone teaches "manners" especially when meeting or playing with other dogs. Coby is whoa-high energy unless he's asleep. He does great with sit,stay,down,etc. He pays attention to me most of the time. The problem is with other dogs (or people, but not as bad) even our own other dog.

He jumps in their faces, bites at them, climbs on their backs, barks at them, and generally just annoys both them and their owners. Reggie is 10 years old and can get grumpy. You guys have mixed opinions on whether puppies know when an older dog thinks enough is enough. With Coby, I really think he doesn't get it and I have to separate them because I'm afraid someone will get hurt. I know a part of it is just puppy-exuberance and part is trying out his dominance. But how have you corrected that? I try the "no", put him in a sit/down, etc. With a treat and command, I can distract him and get him in line easily. But when treat and praise is over, he's right back in his face. It's the same at the pet store but without so much of the dominance thing - mostly just annoying puppy behavior.

We haven't been able to attend puppy classes yet because we're getting ready to send our daughter to college. But hopefully nearer the end of the month... Coby's also being neutered in a couple of weeks.

Any good tips?? I'm sure that he'll outgrown some of it, but I prefer some manners when we're meeting someone OR when he's playing with his brother. He's just so darling that I want to make sure that EVERYONE sees that in him!!

Thanks!

Today, 10:21 AM #2
MickNMaL
Senior Yorkie Talker

HI!

Good post! I can't wait to see all of the responses. Mickey is the same way. How old is Coby? Mickey is 7 months. He has calmed down a lot over the past few months. He never barks at other dogs, or really bites them, he just kinda jumps on their faces and mouths at them a little bit. He gets very excited! I live in the city, so he encounters at least 5 dogs a walk... you think he would be used to it by now, but he just loves to play.

I do think that he is learning though, that the other, older dogs arent interested in his games. So now... what he will do is lay down on the ground as soon as he sees the other dog and wait for the other dog to approach him. As soon as that other dog approaches he will jump right up from laying down and start jumping and trying to play. He usually calms down after about a minute or so and will sit and just hang out. Also, I have noticed that he is muchhh better off of the leash! When we bring him to the dog park he very rarely will jump up on the other dogs... he just follows them.

I think Coby will grow out of it, but trust me I hear what you are saying about the manners- especially when the owners of the other dogs dont appreciate our dogs lack-of manners!

Very interested in hearing what others have to say!

Good Luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks - and thanks for the clarification - "biting" is not the right word - your word "mouthing" is the right word. It's all in good play for him at least (although oh so rude). Coby is only 5 months old. So did you work with Mickey on it in particular, or did he just sort of naturally outgrow much of it? If he will outgrow it, I can be really patient. But if there is something else that I should be "specifically" doing that I'm not already doing, I wanna get on it! I love puppies, but growing out of the puppy stage has it's relief, I mean rewards too.

Today, 12:35 PM #4
tjdmom
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I'm so glad to read this post! That's exactly what Zoe does to our older collie. She jumps in her face and doesn't really bite but just generally annoys her. I can't really blame sasha when she growls and shows her teeth - she never bites her though! - but I yell at that both and make them stop. I wish I knew what it means and what the best way to handle it is.

tjdmom

Today, 01:48 PM #5
For My Coby
Senior Yorkie Talker

LOL - So, now on this post we have one person who's pup might have outgrown it and two people who don't know how best to address it. Where are all our ANSWERERS!!??!!
Diane, and my boys ..... Coby and Reggie !!
Striving to be a YTPP - a YT Positive Poster!
In Memory of My Beautiful Mother 7/22/28-8/27/08
For My Coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!