Thread: Breeding Ages
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisatodd View Post
i have been studing line breeding and came across an article of line breeding and genetics. now i cannot word this intelligently since i have just started studing this but there was a study done with 40 dogs over a 15 yr (25 yrs studing the prior litters) period. they kept track of all the offsprings to these males. during this time, they allowed them to have 4 sets of litters a piece for approximately 7 years. (forgot to say these canines were free of any genetic defects prior to the study as well as the dams ). they then mated all the same sires after the age of 11 and again kept track of all of the offsprings.
the bottom line was all of the litters conceived while the sire was at a young to middle age, did not pass on any genetic defects. with the same sires at an old age, did pass on genetic defects.

THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH LINE BREEDING, JUST ANOTHER STUDY DONE BY THE SAME INSITITUTE since line breeding and genetics are closely studied together

i found it to be very interesting as i do liver shunt studies. vets cannot link liver shunt or prove it to be a genetic defect but they base their hypothesi on very renown and respected breeders who do believe it is a genetic defect.

again, this is what i read and study up on. i am sure there are so many studies out there but i find genetics very facinating.
Very interesting and thanks.

It stands to reason that as in humans.....when producing offspring in later years, there is the chance of mental and physical defects being passed down. But, it is also known that these same types of genetic defects can be passed down by perfectly healthy younger parents....granted the percentages are lower when younger, but the law of averages increase as one gets older......

As I mentioned before there is a cut off line for females and males for breeding.....age, health are primary importantce.....

Liver shunt is another issue, that strongly leans toward hererditary factors.....Several studies by Dr Tobias have resulted in different outcomes. 2 shunt parents producing non shunt offspring and visa versa. I can't wait for the day when the DNA Marker is available to determine if your dog is a carrier.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!