Thread: Breeding Ages
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
lisatodd
Little Boogers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegamom1 View Post
Thanks Lisa, I will be interested in reading this. As I have told others, none of us ever stop learning.
i have been studing line breeding and came across an article of line breeding and genetics. now i cannot word this intelligently since i have just started studing this but there was a study done with 40 dogs over a 15 yr (25 yrs studing the prior litters) period. they kept track of all the offsprings to these males. during this time, they allowed them to have 4 sets of litters a piece for approximately 7 years. (forgot to say these canines were free of any genetic defects prior to the study as well as the dams ). they then mated all the same sires after the age of 11 and again kept track of all of the offsprings.
the bottom line was all of the litters conceived while the sire was at a young to middle age, did not pass on any genetic defects. with the same sires at an old age, did pass on genetic defects.

THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH LINE BREEDING, JUST ANOTHER STUDY DONE BY THE SAME INSITITUTE since line breeding and genetics are closely studied together

i found it to be very interesting as i do liver shunt studies. vets cannot link liver shunt or prove it to be a genetic defect but they base their hypothesi on very renown and respected breeders who do believe it is a genetic defect.

again, this is what i read and study up on. i am sure there are so many studies out there but i find genetics very fasinating.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!